Will a Shift to Cloud Computing Create or Cut Jobs?

From Salon
I don’t often look to movies about beer for poignant macroeconomic commentary, but as February ended with an 8.1 percent unemployment rate (and rising), a line from “Strange Brew” struck me as particularly relevant. As they’re introduced to their new jobs as the only two workers on the bottling line, the Mackenzie brothers are told: “Welcome to 1984, the age of automation and unemployment. The rise of the machine and the fall of man. The end of the human era.”

Will cloud computing, as some predict, be to information technology today what automation was to the assembly line in the ’80s? If so, what happens to those jobs? To the people who used to do them?
Continued...

My Comments:
Having made my living in IT for the past decade (and then some) and being currently unemployed, this article hits particularly close to home for me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Archives